Friday, April 2, 2010

If you are unemployed, you are not trying hard enough!



I have been unemployed for 2 months and it has been a colossal wake up call. I realized that this job market is not for those who are not vigorous. In my search for the right job career I have encountered a lot of obstacles that I did not think would surface. I didn't realize how bad our economy really was until I had to deal with it. The first thing I had to do was file for unemployment because some hard cash is definitely better than no cash and let me tell you, the amount of money they are giving me is what I used to spend on a Friday night going out with my buddies.

The first task was updating my resume. I had to dig it out of my file cabinet hard drive and add any skills I had obtained in the 5 years since I last even looked at it. It still had my high school GPA on it. That awesome 2.40 I worked so little to earn. Once my resume looked like the declaration of independence I had to submit it to prospective employers. I went on Craigslist.com and just started emailing to anyone who had a decent salary. I didn't care what, I just wanted to find something quickly.

2 months later: I only received one call back from this Indian Jewelry Company. (Never again will I work for one of those it’s like making a Jew work for the Nazi army)

I then decided to go the traditional route; apply online at reputable companies. I started with Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, T-Mobile, AT&T, Costco, Sam's Club, Tiffany & Co., etc. The list goes on....

One thing they all had in common was that DAMN godforsakenIwillkillyou personality test! Those dreadful creatures make me look like I hate being managed, I’m a rebel and, I do not like authority. What employer would ever hire someone like that? Being in 2010 I quickly went online and took a 30 minute tutorial on how to pass a personality test. hehehe I love Google. I then continued to apply at other places and used my newfound knowledge on the test and bam! I started receiving phone calls and follow-up emails.

I received calls from two companies that I respect and would love to work for. To make a long blog short. I went two both interviews and they both went very well. Now it is really up to me to decide which career path I will take.

No comments:

Post a Comment