Monday, May 17, 2010

Lessons learned....new relationships built

In the past few months I have become a better person. How cliche does that sentence sound? But, its true I have. I have learned that a lot of personal traits are acquired through self-discovery and, no matter how much formal training one receives in government funded institutions or alternative methods, nothing will ever change that fact.

I have made a lot of decisions in my young life and, to this point I have not allowed myself to choose a path that could ultimately have bad circumstances. One could say, I play a safe game. In the world of reality television people would consider me as a under the radar contestant. Anyway, what I am trying to say is I am boring! no, that can't be true. I am far from a a boring person, I just like to keep it traditional.

When I turned 18, I knew a lot of things were going to change. I had to really decide the path in my life that would guide me in the right direction; into a good future with a lot more positives than negatives. I made a playbook in my head with different scenarios that would keep me in check. If I wrote it out, it would look like an encyclopedia.

To my point, in January, I left Bloomingdale's. I really didn't like doing retail or felt the growth within the industry to stay. I then joined the millions of other Americans sitting at home trying to find themselves or find a job that would bring home the bacon. I used that time to find myself and what I needed to do in order to make it through into the next chapter of my life. I chose to find another job. I applied at multiple places and got offers from most of them but, I couldn't decide fact enough so those opportunities went down the drain. A few weeks later a friend called me and said, he referred me to his boss and she is interested in interviewing me for a position at Nordstrom. The thoughts going through my mind were endless but, ultimately I took the position and I do enjoy it. I guess some of us are born salesmen and I am one of those people. Temporary? We shall find out.

As stated on my earlier blog, I began writing for this weekly here in Atlanta called SBImagazine. It is a weekly that covers local businesses and events going on around Midtown, Atlanta. It is a fun job that comes with the opportunity to meet a lot of important people in the publishing world and with plenty of perks to keep me interested. It is also a way to continue to improve my resume for future use.

As my career at Georgia State University comes to a close, I have realized that the real battle is on the way and that expectations I have set for myself have been set extremely high.

No comments:

Post a Comment